The supernatural interactive fiction novel, Teahouse of the Gods is out now! It’s a 250,000-word novel by Naca Rat, which is entirely text-based, fueled by your imagination!
In Teahouse of the Gods, you’ll be harnessing the energy of life itself to empower your body, and even control your environment! Will you use these newfound powers to change the world? Or let it corrupt your soul and morals?
After one night at “The Teahouse”, located on Mount Qingcheng in Sichuan, China—you wake up with the abilities to perceive and manipulate spiritual energy, known as qi.
It doesn’t stop there, however, you can now also see gods and monsters! You unlock extraordinary powers. You can run faster, jump higher, and even alter people’s perceptions of reality.
You train under the guidance of gods and animal spirits, which makes you realize a sickness is slowly poisoning Mount Qingcheng itself, and its inhabitants.
Will you join the fight against the Ancient Evil and sickness? Here is a list of everything you can do in the novel!
- Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, bi, asexual, or poly.
- Explore a mountain village in China that’s as timeless as myth, yet as modern as a trending hashtag on TikTok.
- Discover the secrets of your past life. Do they still have the power to shape your destiny?
- Rekindle an ancient romance, explore the possibilities with a long-lost friend, or charm a local mogul/memelord.
- Specialize in the body, mind, or environment path as you learn to control spiritual energy, or develop your skills in all three.
- Befriend a Romanian expat, a musical prodigy, a panda spirit, and a busy mother.
- Help a local resort owner plan a summer festival. (You’re here to learn the hospitality industry, remember?)
- Eat. Eat vegetarian, kosher, halal, or try everything: gourmet delicacies, spicy local fare, street food, and dishes from around the world…and beyond.
You can play the first four chapters of the novel free, online, or purchase it on one of the following platforms!
This novel is perfect if you’re into Chinese mythology. It’s rare to find the setting and themes explored in videogames, let alone in an interactive fiction novel! We definitely recommend it.
If you’re looking for another fantasy, mythology-inspired RPG to delve into… We recommend Vampire: The Masquerade—Sins Of The Sires.